Devoted to My Many Whims

10/09/2004

Buffy & Me: A Confession



About 2 years ago I began watching reruns of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on FX when they showed two episodes in a row from 6-8pm. At first I was hesitant. I had seen a couple episodes over the years but never really got involved with the show and suspected that it was really just another WB teen soap opera with a kitschy vampire twist. But now, 2 years later, I freely admit that it is [one of the-ed.] funniest, most original, imaginative, and most sincere and emotionally honest 1-hour "drama[s]" to be aired on free TV ever.

It wasn't an overnight love affair. More of the slow-burn seduction variety, which always leads to the more meaningful and lasting television relationships. I wasn't even the instigator of this relationship -- it was a roommate of mine who would generally be home before me that was the fan. And so there it would be, already on TV every day when I got out of work. I passively stared at it in the beginning. Nodding along with its formula of monster of the week popping up in Sunnydale, finding out where it's hiding out at the last minute, kick its ass and save the day, chuckle, repeat.

But then the not so subtle array of metaphors started hitting me. And as the episodes moved along in order, the characters themselves starting showing the actual subtlety and growth. I started thinking the character of Willow was the most interesting thing on television at the time. What was going on? I thought. Was I falling for a WB show? With the girl from Scooby Doo as the star and central themes revolving around teen problems? Yes. I was falling in it deep. And once you start falling for the three to five central characters and caring about them, then the action scenes even take on depth.

Sure, there were some characters that showed up that were a bit annoying; bad guys that didn't really deserve the time devotion; bad CGI and rubber suits; some story metaphors that were too painfully obvious and close to preachy; but these could all be forgiven when you realize that this show also gives you some of the best writing and dialog to have ever graced television. At its best it is the best, or shoulder to shoulder with it at any rate, and at it's worst is is still better than the other 99% that's being programmed.

My favourite thing about Buffy the Vampire Slayer is being able to look at an episode from the first season and see 3 high schoolers with baby fat trying to get through high school and compare it to the last season, seven years later, and be able to see 3 people, hardened, weathered, who've almost in all cases literally been through hell and back--having had their lives crushed and built back again, more than once in some cases, and really be able to honestly see it in their faces and in the better-than-deserved performances of the actors. What other show can you see that? What other one hour drama can you even see all the main cast last until the end of the shows run? Not many at all. And how many of those shows have jokes with references to Magnolia, kung-fu, hot vengeance demons, and the production values of a studio feature?

So in all, I think it took about 2 to 3 months for me to become a full-fledged geek about the whole thing. And at first it was just Buffy--fuck that gay Angel crap, right? Never liked that actor much anyway... Well, ok, let's take a look--they're starting to repeat them on TNT... Son of a bitch! Who is this Joss Whedon and why the hell are his shows so fuckin' good? And what gives Angel the right? I mean, there's episodes on that show that trump Buffy itself. And the last episode was much better than the final Buffy. Hmm, let me check out this Firefly show that got cancelled after 4 shows or something--can't be very good right?... Shitballs! It's genius! And so on...

Yes, a year ago my geekness was basically being kept to a minimum--only freaking out about TV things related to Mr. Show and Amy Sedaris. Now I find myself anonymously peeking into the Buffy fanclub site and Whedon blog; anticipating the April '05 release of Serenity while trying not to drool; ordering the UK Region 2 DVDs of Buffy seasons so I can see the episodes letterboxed; what has become of me... But no, no shame in this game. I've become utterly convinced, unwavering in my beliefs. America may not justify my claims, but the actors are treated like gods in England. And in most cases it's a good sign in my book when something American is more popular in the UK than here. And speaking of England, what's up with the Giles show over there?

So now, here I sit. A man in the clutches of a Star Trek-like obsession. Alias was a good distraction. But with only 3 seasons to it, sorry... I'm buying Buffy season 2 tomorrow, and that'll give me 4 of 7. I'm buying these used mind you--which breaks down to about 2 dollars an episode per season. Not too bad. Like I said, no shame in this game. Anyway, so I'll be satiated for another couple weeks. It's a pretty good season, a big improvement from season one... Okay, I'm getting sick of myself here. So let me wrap this up.

For your benefit, a seasonal review, in order of bettertude (first being bestest):
Season 3 -- The Mayor is easily the best Buffy season villain. The characters are at their peaks of likability.
Season 5 -- Glory being the next best villain. Spike at his best. Great cliffhanger.
Season 6 -- The musical is pure genius. It's something that by all laws of logic should be laughable and fail miserably. But it actually becomes possibly the coolest episode of TV ever and having some of the funniest moments of the series as well as the "We'll see it through / It's what we're always here to do" tingle-moment. Honors also to the Nerds of Doom. And respect for being able to get away with as much bleakness as they did.
Season 2 -- The Buffyverse comes alive.
Season 4 -- "Hush" is the Buffy apex for me--doesn't get any better. Unfortunately Riley is a human snooze button.
Season 7 -- Preemptive wrap up, but I liked the message of the season and bringing back a worthy villain.
Season 1 -- Only because the actors were still figuring themselves out, it was a short season, and budget restrictions were visibly in place.

Again, this is just different levels of goodness, there are no bad seasons, this is just my own personal biased opinion.

No comments: