Devoted to My Many Whims

4/15/2005

Remind Me

...next year that I now have a decent job I can actually get some worth while cash back from the governement. In the past I've either owed, or got around 30 bucks back. If I knew what was coming to me this time around, well, it certainly would have gotten some fire under my ass to perform my least favorite task--dealing with numbers.

But that's not why I'm up past midnight, once again, feeling the need to finish of this fairly nasty box of Franzia that was given to me as a house-warming gift nearly 3 months ago, and speak to the dark oblivian of the internet community. No, a very special thing is happening this weekend (for those of you not in LA or NY, there are some of you out there right?). Old Boy. The story of a pissed of man and his hammer...



...that won the hearts of the Cannes film fest last year is finally making it's way to my little 'burg here in Cambridge. The insane hype this movie's been getting has been rattling round in my head for about a year now and I can't help but be downright giddy to be finally getting a place to see this. Click that pic above to get a nice little write up from by dear dear imaginary friend at Brokentype. AICN has been doing a circle jerk over this movie for the longest time, since it was shown at their last Butt-Numb-A-Thon. And it seems ages ago that the always read-worthy Filmbrain gave it his thurough going-over, including: "The final shot of the film is so haunting, so disturbing, that it most certainly deserves a place in the 'greatest closing shots' pantheon." And more recently here's todaysthe Phoenix's take.



The main reason I'd really find that tax refund useful right now is so I could live in the land of do-as-you-please and rock this upcoming Boston Independant Film Festival. There's too much going on to really get into here at this hour but: Steve Buscemi's in person opening up the thing with his new directorial effort Lonesome Jim -- Hal Hartley's new one is going to be there -- The JT Leroy adaptation The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things -- The very cool sounding Chain -- And the short I'd mentioned before during my longings of the SXSW gone past, Are You the Favorite Person of Anybody?... click that link up there to get more info on those and others--even if you aren't in the area, they're worth keeping an eye out for.

Okay, I'll wrap this up with two very unrelated video links. One (click on promo reel) for Larry Clark's (Kids, Bully) upcoming movie -- seems basically like Kids in LA, not that that's a bad thing... And one for some monkeys singing about the joy of the first hangover beer.

No comments: