Devoted to My Many Whims

4/26/2005

Add Two More Tease Me's, Please

Since I was in a frenzy of posting video clips last night--and this morning these two were staring me in the face I simply felt the need to preserve these two on the ol' TRB as well. This first one is another gift from our friends in France. All freedomy as they are, they've gone and dipped into the slasher pic genre. A couple of sweet innocent ladies have gotten themselves in a bit of trouble while trying to visit the 'rents in the countryside. This movie's been around in festivals and such for two years now--it's finally coming stateside via Lions Gate on June 3rd. Word is that it's damn good for what it is--a maniac killer movie, but with uncommonly great performances, but then there's the end where it has a pull-the-rug finale. Anyway, here's the teaser, click it...



Chris Cunningham creeps me the fuck out. His work with Aphex Twin is some of the most surreal stuff that's gotten to large market in this country--I barely made it through his Director's Series dvd -- it's much darker than Spike Jonze's and Gondry's stuff. And when I say dark I mean nightmare shit. Anyway, as much as I feel completely uncomfortable around his work--I am at the same time drawn to it. He knows precisely what he's doing and taps into some weird primal eerieness--sort of like an urban David Lynch without the subtlety. This whole teaser thing isn't much--but I've no doubt that the completed project is something worth keeping an eye shut for. Click the-what-the-hell-is-that below.



Wait! One more from m'lady to make it three -- a claymation New Order video that would have went well with the animation theme going on last night. This one beats that Arcade Fire video rather soundly. Anyway, here it is.

While I'm here again I might as well mention like some others I'm sure have recently, that Fiona Apple's unreleased Jim O'Rourke produced album Extraordinary Machine is pretty damn good. For whatever it's worth, I've never really been a fan of hers in the past -- her songs have always been those that I've never been opposed to but never liked enough to go out and buy n album. Her politics have been a bit off-putting, for lack of a better word. But I've known she's been the gal of one of my favorite directors for a while now (for all I know they've been long since seperated) and so I've always held out a sort of feint interest in her. Anyhow, I've gotta say this new unreleased one of hers is far superior to anything I've heard from her in the past. That's all, I swear.

No comments: