Devoted to My Many Whims

4/21/2005

A Castle in Kazakhstan

[I know I missed my sorta promised Monday night post this week but us Massatwoshits state employees don't work on Patriots Day, my apologies...]

There are probably a lot of people not into Japanese animation that have caught a Miyazaki movie and been a bit enchanted -- the guy is fairly amazing at creating grandiose otherworldly universes, with sweeping and very original stories that manage to translate well across the globe. This one looks to be another feather in his cap and the animation looks amazing in that sexy quicktime (small - mediumlarge - x-large). Also funny because I know a guy named Howl and I’m sure he’s always wanted a moving castle. (Thanks again AICN.)

A while ago I got steered to this article from somewhere and thought that another season of Da Ali G Show was underway. It’s a damn funny story if you’re familiar with Sacha Baron Cohen’s character from that show, Borat. And even if you aren’t, really. Well, it became a bit clearer that after that incident it wasn’t a new season they were filming but an actual Borat-centric movie. Word got out that Sacha got in a bit of a row with the director he’d hired and then things went silent. And really with this type of project, you can’t be too sure that what was getting out was really the truth, or the guy just having fun with the press. But now good news – a new and improved director has stepped up to bat for Borat in the form of the possibly genius-y Larry Charles (save for the Mad About You stuff). Click here for the CHUD article and its own back-story about the goings on of this project. Thinking about it now, Borat seems like a much better character to be basing a movie around rather than Mr. Ali G -- click HERE for my review of Ali G Indahouse movie and Larry Charles' very much underrated Masked & Anonymous [how strangely convenient] -- here's HBO's own Borat bio...

"Borat Sagdiyev is Kazakhstan's sixth most famous man. A leading journalist from the State run TV network, Borat has been sent to the United States to report on all aspects of American life. From baseball to Broadway, Borat asks the questions no westerner would dream of in his tireless quest for knowledge, telling dating agencies he will 'crush' women who are unfaithful, touching the penises of Vietnam veterans in Atlanta, urinating on trees with new age gurus in Sedona. Borat on his first ever trip abroad presents a picture of America that only Charles Manson would recognize. "



Click the pic there to witness one of the funniest and yet most thuroughly disturbing things from Borat's escapades in America. And if that link doesn't work try one of these: HERE or HERE? Sorry, my ride on the information superhighway is running low on gas tonight and can't quite be bothered to double check these last few links.

Oh, but before I sign off and watch the rest of this rather kick ass White Stripes movie (a bit more than enough crotch-shots of Jack--but visions of barefoot Meg will be drumming in my head tonight), I want to implore you to read this visit to the set of The 40 Year-Old Virgin. The movie's IMDb page has been sitting over there on my rather stagnant-because-I'm-lazy sidebar for a good while now ever since I stumbled upon the fact that Steve Carrell's getting his own leading role in a Judd Apatow movie. This will be the last AICN link I'll post on here for a while, I promise. But it's a damn funny article.

No comments: