Devoted to My Many Whims

7/07/2005

Stop Me If...

I posted about this probably more than a year ago on a different blog. But now that the movie is finally gaining some steam I feel compelled to make another note of it.

I like David Fincher. Even his sorta crappy movies (Alien 3, Panic Room) have an appeal to me -- not sure why. I think I have a weakness for directors, or autuers if you will, who even though they've created something uneven, flawed, and frustrating -- they're still trying out new techniques, pushing some boundaries, and well, being interesting.

Mr. Fincher's been keeping it low-key for more than a few years now, mostly collecting producer credits. But he's got a couple of director efforts in the works now and the one I'm a bit intersted in is an adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's short story The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Click that link to read it yourself. It's a cool little story you can take care of during a lunch break. It's a bit sci-fi -- the story of a man born 80 or so years old and grows backwards. A bit like that Seinfeld joke of the similarities between being elderly and an infant -- but more profound... It's already collected Brad Pitt as Benjamin and Cate Blanchet as his wife. The three of these people together, I'm pretty confident it'll be a nice piece of work.

Also, I'm kind of sad this web site hasn't been in my life since now, but Boing Boing is one of those blogs that makes you feel rather useless if you're trying to create your own "directory of wonderful things". I could spend a few days curled up with it's archive... Anyway, a fun site.

No comments: