Devoted to My Many Whims

1/25/2005

A New Season of Festivale

[Internet was down for a while—this was kind of timely when it was supposed to be posted, last Thursday after the Bright Eyes tidbit. Oh well… Durring the blizzard a lot of activity/news actually happened around these festivals. --.ed]

Are these the days of brooding jealousy at The Rolling Blackout? Seems my last few posts have been me bitching about cities that are better than mine, paintings I can't afford, songwriters years my junior releasing solid albums... And so one last gripe.

One of these years I'm going to make it to the South By Southwest Festivals. For a couple months a while back, secretly I thought, maybe this year... but alas, 'tis not to be I'm afraid. But I browse the goings on down there anyway... And what do I find? A band from Torrance, CA called Rolling Blackouts. You see, a few years ago planned on using The Rolling Blackout as the name for my shitty home recorded solo debut. Who knows if that tape will ever be made, but still, I at least hope they're a decent band. Plus, seems that comedy tour movie with Patton Oswalt and Brian Posehn will be playing there as well as Solondz's Palindromes.

And so then the Sundance Film Fest is underway as of today. Yeah, again, one of these years... But just wanted to plug some of the movie, that if I were there, i'd be queued up to see. There's a lot out there this year; a short film by the guy who directed Chuck & Buck and The Good Girl starring Mike White himself, Noah Baumbach and Werner Herzog have new movies, but what I really want is at the "Park City at Midnight" category. Oh yes, we have the (as far as I know) world premiers of the Strangers With Candy: The Movie, and Crispin Hellion Glover's What Is It?. [Possible trailer viewing here] My god, the idea of being able to see those two movies in one week boggles the mind. There are some lucky bastards in Colorado right now. There's a lot more there to see than just that--but let's keep it brief, eh? Below: An SWC: the Movie publicity photo taken at Sundance. I'm guessing the guy at the top is Jerri's love interest and Stephen Colbert can be just a bit, well downright scary sometimes. And the other photo seems to have a poster size shot of Ian Holm doing Jerri's Dad to the left of Amy and what you could imagine to be Jerri's mom looking like at some bizarre point or another--either way it just begs for context.



And finally, something I can see. The 2005 Animation Show. I especially dig the Hertzfeldt stuff they show there. Check here for my feelings about Plympton. His short Guard Dog is on the playlist at the Show and is also nominated for an Oscar this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why hello there fellow Blackout? We are not from Torrance, We are fron LOMITA Ca. And I think we are a great band! You can find out more @ Rollingblackouts.com or @ http/www.myspace.com/rollingblackouts1 Well we wish you the best with your site. Hope to see you this years SXSW.