Devoted to My Many Whims

1/20/2005

a short word on those Bright Eyes albums

I'm a bit upset with this Conor Oberst guy. What is he know, 22? 23? Whatever, he looks like a trendier/tinier version of my sophomore year self in high school. I've listened to both of his new albums over last night and this morning and the guy just impresses me too much. I don't like it. The albums are wildly different as far as instruments and production... and both are good--though I think I like Digital Ash better. I will go on record as saying that I still prefer that Desaparecidos album overall to his others outlets. The reason for this came to mind today; it's his voice. It can start grating on you, especially after two albums in a row. But it's perfectly suited for a punk band. But I just wanted to begrudgingly chime in on the ass-kissing he's already starting to get and probably will receive much of in the next month or so (the likes of which may all go to his head and cause sightings of the bedheaded Oberst floating over Omaha trying to be tethered by Saddle Creek mates--but wait, he's moved to New York already right? The guy's way ahead of us all...). Hit the Switch will likely go down as one of the better songs written about being a twenty-something. Congrats.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually he turns 25 on February 15. if he dies tomorrow he will still have recorded "A Perfect Sonnet" from "Every Day and Every Night." he was 19 when he recorded that song and i was 22 when i heard it. that is a great song. we should see M. Ward in Feb.

www.specialfellow.com

Anonymous said...

i should have read what you posted before commenting i guess. i can't believe you like those records actually. gotta go and clean some stuff. m. ward!

www.specialfellow.com