Devoted to My Many Whims

9/20/2004

Sky Cap'n and the Brewing Eye-Patch Fetish



So during a break from the downpour on Saturday, Admin and I went to see Sky Cap'n. If it was playing 10 minutes sooner or later we probably would have called it off but as we walked in it was starting in less than ten minutes so I dropped the always fucked up price of $10.25. Being the first weekend, the people were packed in. So, as seems to be the case with every movie I see with Admin we dropped ourselves in the second row.

The movie starts right out with a black and white slanted art deco style opening credits -- much like Rocketeer did over a decade ago if I'm not mistaken. Though that opening probably wasn't b&w... Anyway, I mention it because both movies are similar in spirit but very different in the way they go after it. Rocketeer tried to take the old sci-fi serials and, while keeping it in the same era, tried to put itself in a reality-based world. They attempted to explain how the back-pack rocket worked and how this device could have been invented and could have propelled a farm boy to defeat some Nazis in a zeppelin.

Zeppelins are popular in Sky Cap'n's world as well. But this world has absolutely nothing to do with reality -- with ray guns, giant robots with wiggly arms (my favourite), airplanes that turn into submarines, etc. It's pretty rare to see when you think about it. There hasn't been a decent sci-fi movie that's taken place in an alternate reality in a while. Well, maybe the Harry Potter movies, but I feel like giving this one a distinction of being an original story--as the Rocketter was. This isn't a comic book adaptation or a series of teenager books. It's a couple of guys with computers and George Lucas sized visions and an encyclopedia of 40s and 50s sci-fi movies. Really, I think it was when the hover craft ship zoomed away from the island with the giant jub-jub lizard looking on that sealed the deal for me as a movie I'd recommend.

Admin left a bit disappointed and mentioned the acting as something he couldn't get around. I know what he means -- and I also realize the acting was all very specific to try and recreate the style of the old Buck Rogers, but I also believe that obscure references shouldn't have to be known to enjoy a movie. But it didn't bother me that much. I'm impressed that the actors come away looking as good as they do after a few weeks of emoting on a blue set. But as much as I respect Jude Law's skills -- his Sky Captain is no Indiana Jones. But, that said, if I were a 9 year old kid, I'd most likely get a huge kick out of this movie. If you've lost complete touch with that part of you -- iwell then, this movie doesn't interest you at all in the first place, does it?

And that's pretty much my position on this movie. I liked it, it entertained me, but besides the plethora of obscure genre flick references there isn't much beyond CGI appreciation to get the adult in me all that excited. That is, besides Angelina Jolie. I think it has to do with my repeated viewings of the Kill Bill movies, combined with her Pussy Galore outfit -- but really I think I'm developing an eye patch fetish. I'm wondering if it's a niche that's already being serviced...




Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments: