Devoted to My Many Whims

10/20/2005

Jens Katamari

Jens Lekman put on a brief but damn fine gig at the PA’s Lounge the other night. I recommend catching the guy and his troubadour show. A couple of songs at the beginning were a bit like being at the ol’ sock hop at the community rec center via 1959, but after singing his break-up song mid-way through it turned a bit more dramatic and, well, better. I still don’t quite know how he got his trumpet player, sit down bassist, keyboardist, and violinist to fit in the tiny place but they were all amazing together. The opening act of Nedelle – well, you take your own chances there…

This article on the PA’s Lounge performance from a year ago is a good read and strangely enough is nearly the exact thing that happened on Monday and has plenty good pics and mp3s (the PA's site still has some mp3s on it as well). Except there was no cool Boston By Starlight cover to cap things off. This is the rest of the tour…

Nov 19 - Athens, Greece - Small Music Theatre (soloshow)
Nov 5 - Toronto, Canada - The Music Gallery @ St. George the Martyr Church
Oct 29 - San Francisco, CA - Rickshaw Stop
Oct 28 - Los Angeles, CA - Spaceland
Oct 25 - Austin, TX - Emo's
Oct 24 - Houston, TX - Walter's
Oct 22 - Richmond, IN - The Earlham College Comtock Room
Oct 21 - Bloomington, IN - Second Story

In other stories of music recommendations I’ll tell you to go get your ears on some of Wolf Parade’s Apologies to the Queen Mary… and an Elliott Smith demos comp from his Basement on the Hill sessions you can find here… and Cage’s Hell’s Winter is downright brilliant…

Katamari

I have to thank m’lady for this one. Being the Japanophile she is, once she heard/saw of the PS2 game Katamari Damacy we went out and bought it the next weekend. At first I thought well, this sounds fun enough – you roll a ball around and pick up random objects – the bigger the ball gets picking up things the bigger objects you pick up… Sure.

Um, sweet sassy molassy, this game is like video crack. And I’m jut talkin’ about Damacy – you may well know that We Love Katamari is on the shelves now – or was, since it was sold out from Target and Best Buy last we checked… Anyway, so, yeah, I haven’t tackled that one yet but I’m still working my thumb blister on the Damacy.

There’s a funny thing that happens playing these games. You’re building your ball for your father, the King of the Cosmos. And very rarely do you get his praise – ok you met your given goal for the round but the reply is, well you met you goal but c’mon you’re the prince, you can do better, if I was rolling that ball I’d do much better! Okay, onto your next round, pathetic prince. And so on. Do you think I’m impressed, no! So there's this guilt and need to do better that actually does make you want to be back to these round and do better. I've beaten this thing a couple times over now but I still want to find those gifts and get his praise...

There’s also much Japanese weirdness – the intro and segues are very trippy. Every other round you can build a constellation [sorry, the point of Damacy is to roll up enough things on your ball to recreate the stars in the sky since your dad fucked up one day and lost them all] and when you do this Japanese girl turns around and says, “I can it… I can feel the Cosmos!” Or something like that. It is indeed awesome.

So I’m trying to get this t-shirt… Either I have it being shipped to be or either it's unavailable -- click on the pick to possibly understand this.

No comments: