Devoted to My Many Whims

10/07/2005

5 Fingers of Death

If you're at all a fan of the kung-fu movie, well, you may have already seen this movie. Me, I just got done watching this and couldn't contain myself – had to come on here and rejoice.

I’ve already admitted that I’m not too up on my Shaw Bros. So I started off with the 5 Deadly Venoms… Man, I guess you could say it’s good or bad that I picked that one but 5 Fingers of Death may well be the best kung-fu movie I’ve witnessed (that I can remember).

Okay, the acting is pretty top-notch as far as this shit goes. The main guy (Lo Leih) – you totally root for him the whole way, the guy can act and... and I’m sounding like a complete geek right now but hold on… The movie starts off with a brilliant fight scene between an old guy and a dastardly group of ne’er do wells and the old guy kicks a good amount of ass. This scene, with the old guy swapping kicks and jumping around completely wraps you into the movie – something Venoms failed to do…

Now I’d love some people to come on here and tell me what Shaw Bros. movies I’m missing out on, but I can’t imagine a better one than this. It hooks you in right at the start, the dubbing is decent, the acting is pretty damn good, and the last half hour kicks complete ass backwards and forwards. And in between that there’s great fight scenes and scenes that actually make you care about this main guy (Lo Leih – who is brilliant in his acting and fighting, what happened to this guy?)

And lastly, yes, this is the movie that Quentin got the Bride’s fight sound from. That alarm that went off when Uma was about to start some shit – that’s the sound that goes off when Lo’s about to lay the Iron Fist down on some sad bastard. Though it is indeed tweeked a bit in Quentin’s world and has an added ending that is extra special.

If you like your kung-fu, go rent this movie. Head, I know you had Venoms on your list – look, I admit I have some flats on my queue, this one is infinitely better than Venoms, my promise to you and to everyone else.

No comments: