Devoted to My Many Whims

9/26/2005

Thumbsucker: The Review

I figured with the amount of jibber-jabbing I've been giving the book and the impending movie I’d chime in with my two half-pennies on the results. It’s not that I really think that anyone reading this went out and picked up the book and read the thing and is now wondering about the movie – but hey, what’s life without fantasies and bookends.

The movies pretty good actually. It’s a skipping stone to the book though. As I predicted we don’t get the pot baby or the job at the gas station. We also don’t get the Mormons, which is probably the most missed, and we don’t get the majority of the dad’s story arc (his cry for help family hike and the lost weekend on the island with Justin). Now yes, this is all sorely missed – but I know just as well as anyone that making a good book into a good movie is a Sophie’s Choice struggle. And for the most part they’ve succeeded.

The good/bad is that Keanu and Vince (Vaughn) almost steal the movie from the central family – that’s not to say that Tilda or the other Vince (D'Onofrio) do a bad job. Not at all, Tilda especially brings her Mom part to life, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that she looks and Vince gives his main scenes that deep well of substance that he always offers up (this time not as creepy as most) as the Dad. If they’d given 15 minutes of touching on his hunting obsession I’d definitely be more pleased, but it seems they wanted to clock in at the 90 minute area so we’re given a small firecracker version of the book.

What really makes the movie good is that you know that Mike Mills (the writer/director) loves these characters. And that’s not just because I’ve read his interviews. That love is up there on the screen and it’s infectious.

No comments: