Devoted to My Many Whims

11/06/2004

The Curse of the Jaded Scorpio

So in one week I turned 28, the Red Sox won the World Series, came down with a bitch-ass cold from hell that lasted 9 days, got an ipod, and watched a bunch of bible-thumping rednecks fuck up our country for at least another 4 years. See, it's the karmic teeter-totter, with every good stroke comes the backhanded bitch slap. C'est la vie. And I really think that I've become so used to the daily slog through the river of shit that is the daily news I automatically put on the knee-high rubbers every morning. So when I woke up to get the confirmation that GW was indeed elected (this time for reals), it was like, bummer dude, oh well, it figures, don't it...

Sure I was upset, disappointed, or whatever you call it. But I swear I couldn't even work up a real simmer of a rage like I did 4 years ago. Nope, it felt like I was like I was out of stock on frustration. The lady I work with who's kid is over in Iraq, fuck, she was [is] super-pissed, but I just nodded in agreement and went back to reading about the R Kelly / Jay-Z feud. Other friends seemed like they were sincerely hurt and depressed by the turnout, but myself--I get angrier from 30 seconds of watching Fox News than the actual fact that Bush is going to be around 4 more years. I think I've become far too jaded. [I couldn't even get that excited about the Red Sox win -- I was happy, some clapping was involved, but I know that last year or the year before I would have been running full-speed in circles crapping my pants and screaming halle-fucking-lujah -- all at the same time.]

There are a couple of other theories I have about this. Maybe I'm happy that there'll be four more years of good comedy material. Or, maybe we'll be able to watch him dig himself into a situation where he'll be publicly humiliated, impeached, indicted, and/or forced to resign. I mean, with all that's happen in the past 4 years, it really isn't much of a stretch. Both those ideas are pretty sad also. I mean, let's watch him drive the country into the ground like a cigarette butt under his cowboy boot--but hey, at least we'll have a good laugh at our own expense! Or, maybe this will all hit me later on down the line. Either way, right now Nov 2nd and 3rd just seem like two more normal bad days. Sad...?

Lisa Simpson: We're the Mtv generation, we feel neither highs nor lows.
Homer: Really, what's it like?
Lisa: (shrugs) Meh...

No comments: